Thursday, March 31, 2011

And We're Off

 December 2010
Warning: This post is not for the faint of heart.  In fact it could be the longest post in the history of blogging.  However, in the 10 days we were gone, we traveled through 6 states and went almost the full length of the Western coast line.  To say the least, my tires are worn out, the car is about 7,000 miles over for an oil change, and our bums will never be the same again.  However, we did create memories that hopefully most of the kids will always remember.
After what seemed like a tremendous amount of time in the car with four overly-excited boys, we arrived in Utah to Grandma and Grandpa's house.  David and Ashley had flown in from Connecticut, Tony and Alli are living there, and so everyone was there and ready for total and utter chaos.

 There was plenty of snow for the boys to get their fill.  Grandpa had the snowmobiles up and running and had packed down an awesome sledding hill.  We have video footage, but I'll spare you.  They played for hours, and we're soaking wet, and came in daring each other to go bigger and better the next day.

 
We had our big Christmas dinner on Christmas Eve, as you can see my mom and Alli went over the top, and I think that I ate more food in one sitting that I had for the previous three months. Disclaimer: that is sparkling apple cider you see.
 After we cleaned up, we had a short Christmas program where the kids put on display their special skills.  Detton sang "Jingle Bells", just the chorus, about 6 times.  Oh, how I love that kid.  Then they got to open their one special gift of....surprise! Pajamas!
 I really thought that we had scaled back this year, given the circumstances.  But I guess when you get 18 people all in one house for Christmas, the presents do tend to look a little out of control.
 I was a little slow making it up before the boys, so before they could open any presents, they had to pose for a quick picture.  As you can see, Ben is already trying to sneak in a quick rip of the paper.

 Then Grandma brought out the big box.  At first, the kids didn't seem to get it.  It was just junk food- and a clue for them to find other puzzle pieces, it was really a little much for them to comprehend all on one day.
 So the hunt began, of course I refused to hide puzzle pieces the night before, because I knew that I would forget where one piece would be.  Ashley called us wimps and then she and David hid them.  And wouldn't you know it? There was one piece that no one could seem to remember where it was. Oh well, the kids got the idea regardless.  So we packed up Christmas, loaded up the cars, and we were off.  I had messed up multiple times trying to keep the whole trip a secret from the boys, so to cover my tracks, I told them a half-lie that we were going to St. George to golf.  We did make it to St. George the first night, but we never made it golfing. (The boys had been rather put out with me when we were leaving Washington, that I wasn't going to take their clubs with us).  And then we were off to California.  About Las Vegas, Brandon and I switched driving, and I'm rather glad.  Just outside of Vegas all the way to Bakersfield, California, it was bumper to bumper traffic.  It was a blessing that Brandon slept the whole way, or I'm pretty sure he would have lost any part of his salvation that he has remaining.
Waiting for tickets to let the troops descend.  What?? Crying?? There's no crying at Disneyland!

 Aren't we a sight to behold.  We got crazy looks all the time,  you should have seen us by the end of the trip.  Grandpa went and rented another two strollers, even Detton had his turn riding....I'm pretty sure that I wanted a turn too!
 We thought we had things all figured out..We had done the research on the Fast Passes, downloaded the app on Brandon's phone that told us the wait times, however, the rest of the world had the same idea.
Buzz Lightyear proved to be the younger boys' favorite, although it does look like Kaden was enjoying himself as well. 
 And what would a trip to Disneyland be without buying over-priced ice cream.

 
Grandpa seemed to always be the designated child holder.
 I'm pretty sure this was the only ride that I could go on.  After getting off of it, I decided that I would have been better off to have not gone on it.
 The older boys were good sports about going on some of the younger rides with everyone.  And I was surprised at how many Ben and Detton went on willingly.  Those two have never been described as "brave", "crazy and loud",yes, but never brave.
We did make it to the Jedi Training.  Detton wanted to go up there so badly, it made my heart hurt.  We were one of the first ones there, and I wanted to sit in the front, Brandon wanted to sit in the back so that he had something to lean against. Not that I could blame him.  Luckily, Ben was asleep.
 And then there was the disappointment of not getting selected. Guess I should have sat in the front.
 But once Darth Vader, Darth Mal, and the Storm troopers came out, Detton perked up.  I'm thinking that he might have been terrified if he would have had to actually fight them.
 I don't know if Ben had just never seen the sun or what, but he hardly took his sunglasses off.  This is his "tough guy" look.  With a giant sucker, of course.
 After two days of Disney, we headed South to San Diego.  It was cold and it was rainy.  We stopped at two Targets along the way to try and find ponchos, and both were sold out.  Finally, found some and then decided that we should have just bought the Shamu ponchos sold for a ridiculous amount of money by the front gate.
 The boys enjoyed the shows, but it's just not the same when the trainers don't get in the water and do the awesome tricks with the animals.
 Watching Polar Express in 4-D.  They thought it was pretty cool.
 And then we spent the remainder of the time watching Sawyer.  Wanting to get the full experience Grandma got Sawyer into the Dolphin excursion.  Unfortunately, there was only one spot left, and Kaden didn't care to do it.  I think afterwards he was glad, Sawyer wouldn't use the paper underwear that they supplied and had a serious case of chaffing by the time we left.
 That's Sawyer on the far end.  They don't have a lot of opportune spots for picture taking.  Of course, there were the paid photographers that had excellent spots, but I wasn't about to shell out more money.
 While we waited for Sawyer to change his clothes, the rest of us went to the sand dollar pools for the true interactive experience.
 What is more exciting than putting a sand dollar on its back and waiting for it to flip over.  Just so you know, it takes almost 15 minutes for it to work its way back over.
 The love of a grandparent for the spoiled grandchild.
 After a wet day at Sea World, we headed to Murrietta see Brandon's high school buddies and go out to dinner with them.  I think that Brandon really misses them.  I would have had a picture, but I looked like a drowned rat and didn't want proof.
 Last and final day, we hit California Adventures. 
 It was pretty chilly out, so while Grandpa took the big boys on some exciting rides, we hunkered down in the Magicians Workshop.  It was pretty amazing to watch how the animate the cartoons.
 Grandma and Grandpa going head to head.
 Not sure, but I think Alli is praying to not die, maybe?
 This is when you know that you have thoroughly worn out your kids.  Sawyer had a bed all to himself in Grandma and Grandpa's room. The night before, Brandon had taken them all swimming and really wiped them out.  I so wish I would have had my camera with me (I was off doing laundry) but as they were walking down the hall, all suited up, Ben looked back at me.  He was decked out in his life vest, and Buzz Lightyear flip flops, and then his goggles, all ready to go.  It was such a moment that I wish I could just freeze, and never let my boys grow up.  Soooo, we loaded up and started to head out.  Of course as soon as you get on the interstate we would be so lucky to get stuck in more traffice.  But this time we had to add a little excitement to the trip.  While we were stopped on the far left hand lane with only barricades inches from our car on one side and cars on the other, Kaden decided that he was going to be sick.  We opted to have him puke out the side with the barricades, then just to make it more interesting, traffic decided to pick up.  So now we are driving down the interstate at 30 miles an hour, with Kaden hanging his head out the window, to say the least, we stopped and washed the car, but not before it was good and dried.
 On the way home we decided to take the old Highway 101, up the coast and see the redwoods.  Keep in mind that the boys had been grounded from their Nintendo for a couple months and I only let them play them when in the car.  So when we were traveling the "Avenue of the Giants", and Brandon and I were oohing and ahing over the winding and beautiful way, I told the boys to look at the awesome trees.  The reaction... "yup, mom, they're trees alright".
 They were slightly impressed with the tree that we paid $10 dollars to see that you could drive your car through.  We opted to not drive through, just in case we got stuck,
 The true highlight of the trip home was talking Brandon into stopping to play in the ocean.
 There is just something that draws little boys to try and through things in water.
 I was super paranoid and made Brandon stay by Ben and Det the whole time.  The tide was coming in and we almost stayed too long on the rocks.  That would have made for an interesting night.
 Sawyer seeing how far he could get.
 As childish as it is, they all have to try and see how close they can let the waves get and not get caught.  Well, Kaden got caught.
 Just outside of Portland, Oregon is a beautiful waterfall.  We had fully intended to walk the short hike, but when we got there, it was way too cold and windy, we opted for the drive-by version.
 Just on the Washington and Oregon border there is a war memorial set up to look like Stonehenge.  It was pretty cool to see it all.
 Brandon trying to impart some fatherly wisdom of the people who died, serving our country.
And the final scene from our three-day trip home.  While the trip was far from restful, it was definitely memorable!
Thanks Grandma and Grandpa for the fabulous vacation.

4 comments:

Mrs. Rees said...

Why do I always look like such a sour old cow in pictures?!?

So glad you took some pics, since I did not do so hot in this category!!

Mrs. Rees said...

Um, I'm not sure what is happening with the computer. This is Alli- not mom. And the sour cow comment was also by Alli not mom.

Levi and Kelsey said...

It looks like you guys had such a fun time! That is great that the whole family got to go. By the way, that post was not to long. There was nothing that you could have left out, otherwise you couldn't share the whole experience!

Young family said...

What a fun Christmas vacation! How fun for all of you to be together... We are doing Disneyland with all of Drew's family in June.. Can't wait to take the kids to the most wonderful place in the world??? right... along with all the people that think so too..
When is that baby girl due???