Thursday, March 31, 2011

We Were There

 December 2011
 I was reading a blog back in October, in which the author was giving a recipe for Thanksgiving dinner.  In defense of her early post she stated that you start with Halloween and before you know it, Christmas is already past.  It was so true.  I felt like we had just barely gotten through Halloween, and then suddenly, it's the week before Christmas- of course, I haven't bought any presents yet- the kids have recitals and activities, and we're supposed to leave for Utah in a few days, I have to find some place for the dog, etc. etc.  But somehow, we always find a way to fit it all in.
Ben's adorable preschool put on a Nativity play.  Poor little Ben, can hardly say his one line, luckily he was doing it with the two other wise men, and no one could tell that he can hardly talk.  He did start going to the elementary school for speech therapy, but it's still any body's guess what he's trying to say.  It's more like a game of charades, you have to know what he's been doing, what brother's are doing, and really watch the hand actions to guess what he's trying to say.
  Kaden is doing band.  He really wanted to play the trombone, but there was an old trumpet at Grandma's house, so that's what he got to play.  Really not sure how he is passing, because he never brings the thing home (which isn't necessarily a bad thing), but he seems to play pretty good.  The concert was short and sweet, we were rude and left after the middle school band.  Not to be rude, but the band is not known for it's playing abilities.
  This is Detton at his concert.  Doesn't he look so excited to be there?  He was on and off the whole month of December with feeling good.  I knew that if a caller that was "unknown" showed up on my phone, it was the poor school nurse calling to tell me that Detton was in her office again.  Luckily, she is a really great lady in our ward, I told her that she just needs to get a little tougher and send him back to class.
  Sawyer seemed to know exactly when I was taking his picture, he is quite the showman (but I have no idea where it came from).  He diligently practiced the songs every night for us, boy, was glad when that was over.
We were able to squeeze in a quick visit with Santa. It was really nice to not have a terrified one this year.  However, Santa was looking really feeble, and so only Ben sat on his lap.  Pretty sure even Det was too heavy.
And the poor pathetic Christmas tree.  We debated on even putting one up, as we were going to be gone.  But alas, sentiment won out, and we put it up last minute.  For some reason, I could have sworn that we had all the decorations last year, but when we went to get them out of the garage, they were no where to be found.  I tore that garage apart, looking for them, and then when we had opened every box in the garage, with no luck, I sat there and bawled like a two year old.  I seriously thought that we had somehow lost all the precious ornaments that the boys had made me over the years, you know the ones that a mother can't bare to throw away, because adorable, fat, little 5 year-old hands made it.  So while I had my meltdown, Sawyer found some of the cheap glass balls and decorated it for us,  I guess that was all that really mattered.  Luckily, two months later, we finally cleaned out the trailer that was housing the remains of the Rexburg house, and found one lonely Christmas box full of the lost ornaments.  I'm pretty sure I'm going senile.

No comments: