April 8, 2011
It really is amazing how consistent we are when it comes to birthdays. First, and foremost, I can't believe that Kaden has hit the 12 year old mark. He was soooo ready to move out of primary, although he really enjoyed singing time, NOT! I feel like time is moving out of control, that the days really either last forever or go by way too quickly. We only have a few more short years with him till he will be on his own. I once heard that by the time kids are twelve they have made a lot of their decisions, church wise, whether they will go on missions, and marry in the temple. Have we taught him all those things that he will make correct decisions? or have we just kind of dusted the surface? I sometimes think that agency is a blessing and a curse. What I wouldn't give some days just to make sure that I'm there to help him (or do it for him) make the right choices. But that is something that we all have to do on our own.
On a lighter note, Kaden chose once again to have a sports themed birthday party. Lucky for us, we have a new audience to entertain. First I had to work hard just to talk him into a birthday party, I think he was a little apprehensive that he was too old and also that he wouldn't have enough friends to even invite. Once we sat down and started listing the people that he was friends with, he started to get a little more excited. I tried to talk him into going to movies or batting cages or bowling, but he staunchly insisted on his ball games party. That's fine. Heaven knows that we have all the stuff, since this is our fourth time doing this party. Thank goodness Brandon is there to run these things, I tried it one year, didn't go off so well. The kids respond well to his direction, and sarcasm, things that I'm just not good at. Getting the pizza to the party was a little more of a challenge, as Brandon had to go 45 minutes into town to pick it up. However, there was not one slice of the 6 LARGE pizzas left, I think that Domino's is a luxury and not a mainstay like it used to be for us. Sorry for the crummy pictures, gym shots are always rotten.
We really branched out this year....instead of the traditional baseball cake, Kaden requested a basketball and a football.
The 15 starving boys
It was a sweaty mess by the end. We played a little kickball, hockey, basketball, and baseball. And for the most part everyone got along.
All of the boys were really good about letting Ben and Det join in. And you weren't about to tell Ben he was too small, in his mind he is just as big and competent. He did tag Brandon in the head with the baseball, which everyone thought was hilarious, which in turn embarrassed Ben, who left the gym crying.
Twelve years old, amazing isn't it.
No comments:
Post a Comment