Monday, March 1, 2010

Dettonisms

February 2010

We were up watching the speed skating and figure skating Olympics. Here's our conversation....
Sawyer, "I think if I make it to the Olympics, I'll probably go with speed skating short track." ?!?
Detton, "Yeah, I think I'll do the skating with Jocy, when I'm 28 and she's 26. And I'll lift her up on my hands like that guy."
Jocy is Detton's cousin who is 9 months older, she often has him dance with her so in her mind she is the perfect partner for figure skating. What Detton doesn't comprehend is that there is a chance that Jocy might be as big as him (we've always thought they were meant to be twins). Maybe he should set his sights on Polly Pocket a.k.a. Lauren, as a partner. Brandon's so proud.
-
We were driving to Stake Conference yesterday, and Detton made the amazing discovery that his tie tack had CTR on it, just like his ring. When asked what CTR stands for, he replied,"BE GOOD!"
-
At Detton's preschool the teacher tries to motivate the children to count to 40 with the promise of lunch at her house. Detton succeeded, even though he has trouble saying 30's and another child insisted that he wasn't doing it right. A few weeks later Detton asks his teacher what she will do for them if they count to 100. I'm pretty sure that in her mind she was pretty safe from having to follow through with any promises.
Mrs. Becky, "I don't know Detton, counting to 100 is pretty tough, what do you think we should do?"
After Detton thinks for a minute, "We should go to McDonald's"
Mrs. Becky, "OK Detton if you count to 100 we'll go to McDonald's"
Detton raises his hand, "Mrs. Becky, do you want to hear me count to 100?"
Every preschool teacher's worst nightmare, I'm sure it took forever, but he did it. And I won't let her take him, because I know he totally manipulated the situation. He does get that gene from my side of the family.
-
Around our house the word "nap" is like a four-letter-word. So we try to use the term "quiet time". It seems to work, if I can just get them to hold still long enough, they will eventually fall asleep. I tell the boys they don't have to take naps, they just have to lay quietly, on their beds, with their blankets, and the room dark. Ha! Detton came to me the other day and said, "Mom, I tried and tried, but I just can't be quiet any more!"

No comments: